Review: Bloodspell by Amalie Howard

Bloodspell by Amalie Howard

Published: May 25th, 2011
Publisher: Langdon Street Press

Series: (Bloodspell #1)
Format: E-book, Paperback
Pages: 394

Genre: YA, Paranormal


Source: Netgalley

Purchase*: Barnes and NobleAmazon
Add on Goodreads



The spell was simple...

Cruentus Protectum (Defend the Blood)

But what do you do if your blood is your enemy?

Victoria Warrick has always known she was different. An outcast at school, she is no stranger to adversity. But when she receives an old journal for her seventeenth birthday, nothing prepares her for the dark secrets it holds -- much less one that reveals she's a witch with unimaginable power.

What's more, when she meets the dazzling but enigmatic Christian Devereux, she has no idea how much her life is about to change. Enemies will hunt her. Friends will turn on her. The terrible curse that makes her blood run black will stop at nothing to control her. And Christian has a sinister secret of his own...

Without knowing whom to trust, can Victoria survive her blood's deadly desires? Or will she lose everything, including herself?


It took me a long time to get through this book, I kept putting it down after starting reading it. I just couldn't get into it from the very start. I honestly wanted to like it but it just didn't work for me. 

The Plot. I liked the promise of this book. The whole plot about a cursed witch and fight within yourself concept was really interesting. But everything else... I mean it was like any romance book where a girl meets a boy she can't be with and also the triangle, or more like where her best friend is in love with her. The most interesting part in this book was probably Christian and his relationship with his brother, because I really wanted to see how that going to work out. Everything else was just not interesting.

The Characters. All the characters were just eh. for me. They weren't well developed and seemed plain aside from their powers or who they were(as in witch, vampire, warlock, etc.). Victoria was just annoying at times, just like her friend Charla. Christian...he didn't swoon me at all. In this book I only had interest in Lucian and Angie and they were far from main characters. I only had interest in them because of there mysterious kind of personality, but in the end they both kind of disappoint me. 

The Romance. The main part in this book is the romance between Victoria and Christian. Honestly I didn't really feel the connection there(Edward and Bella even did better). For almost all of the book they were thinking about how they can't be together and the reasons why, instead of thinking a way to find to be together and why they should. They kept going back and forth and being all jealous when they weren't even together. That was just annoying. 

The Writing. The writing in this book was really confusing at times. The scenes just went back and forth between different people and at times you couldn't figure out who was thinking. Like the first sentence is Victoria and the next is Christian.  

Overall, I didn't really like Bloodspell. A lot of times I just wanted to stop reading it. I don't think I will keep reading the series, maybe only to see what will happen to Lucian. 








3 comments :

  1. its a shame that the book wasn't too good but the cover art is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stand it when I don't know who is speaking in a book. I wasn't sure if I would want to read this book but after reading your review, I'll skip this.

    ReplyDelete

 

Grab our button!

Total Pageviews

Goodreads Challenge 2014

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Anastasia has read 7 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Favorites::

Anastasia's favorites book montage

Vampire Academy
The Host
Remember Me
Wake Unto Me
Pretty Little Liars
Angelique
Seduced in the Dark
If I Were You
Night Game
Hopeless
Warm Bodies
City of Glass
This is Not a Test
Earthbound
A Game of Thrones
The Sea of Tranquility
Darkness of Light
Ten Tiny Breaths
Left Drowning
Divergent


Anastasia's favorite books »